Saturday, February 03, 2007

Paradoxical learning!!!!

I'm heavily confused right now. The confusion that I'm in right now is not just regarding the state of being indecisive. It's something more. The usual parameters that I use to reach to conclusions are generating a conflict, and that too a paradoxical one! Though I've already made the decision, I'm still not very sure as to what have I taken into account and why have I done so.
The most usual factor that shapes one's thinking is the public consensus that's prevalent regarding the topic. (though most of it is statistically uncertain and driven by the desire to point out flaws, but more or less it's always a major factor). Another factor is your own contemplation of aftereffects as per your experiences and with the aid of extrapolation. This one varies largely from person to person and once shaped by intuition, it largely drives the course of action. Third factor is the social and peer involvement, which implants the need to be consistent with one's past record and hence adds a deterrence to try out things that don't go along consistently with one's image. There can be some other factors as well.

The paradox arises when the conclusion reached by reasoning conflicts with the one which has been arrived upon by collective opinion and accumulated wisdom that one has. Which one has to be chosen now? The intuitive feeling added to the chaos. I wasn't sure as to reasoning was absolutely flawless or not, neither was I confident regarding the public consensus.

I did made a decision though, my conscience helped me out of the paradoxical situation. I chose the option in which I could answer myself in the best possible manner. I cannot boast that it's always right thing to do, but there didn't seemed to be a better alternative that could sort out the confusion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tarun said...

Well sir, an interesting post i must say. Something that vividly describes the state of quandary that we all pass through in our daily lives. One thing perplexed me though, how can reasoning not reflect the wisdom that one has gained over the years? It's normally intuition and reasoning that are at war with each other, isn't it?
By the way, for all this retrospect and reflection, may i ask what was the actual thing that forced you into a dilemma.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Gaurav (Calvin) said...

reasoning i think is derived out of our social prejudices and out of our worldview of collective acceptance, and is NOT the sole basis of wisdom. Wisdom is something that cannot be "justified" by a fixed criteria and is dominated by our conscience.....

the reason for the dilemma was trivial and anyway it didn't matter...
i was at war with the method i was choosing NOT with that particular situ....

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home